Sound Deadener and Flooring

The first thing we did to our new van was to add some Noico sound deadener to the metal panels. This stops a lot of the resonance that the larger panel sections are pron to and drastically reduces noise. We ordered 2 boxes of the 80 mil 36 sqft Noico and it worked out almost perfectly to do the walls, ceiling, above the front headliner, inside the side and rear door panels and inside the passenger seat pedestal (to help with noise from our Chinese diesel heater).

All you need to do this is a sharp knife, a straight edge, sharpie, a roller, something to cut on, gloves so you don't get cut from the metal edges and a cheap trim removal kit to get the door panels and foam blobs off. We left the doors and area above the headliner to last as we wanted to wait for the Thinsulate insulation to show up so we could do both at the same time.

You have to roll out the ripples to make a smooth surface which tells you it is properly adhered to the surface.

It went quickly with 2 people, 1 cutting pieces and the other rolling them on. You'll want to switch up as the rolling gets a bit tiring, especially on the roof.

You can see the black wiring conduit here that we removed so we could raise the wiring to be behind the top cabinets.

I should have worn the gloves.

Many blood sacrifices were made.

Next step was the flooring. This turned out to be pretty straight forward and we were very happy with the results. We followed the basic flooring guide from Faroutride.com. We used some of our Noico sound deadener in the large valleys as well as some 1/2" plywood pieces in the large depressions so that the foam boards had a solid surface all around and wouldn't flex over low spots. We used Silicon2 to attach the plywood to the metal floor. On top of this we put a layer of 1" foam XPS from home depot held to the van floor with Silicon2 again. Then we added a layer of 1/2" baltic birch from Windsor Plywood on top using biscuits in the joins between the plywood pieces to keep them aligned. PL300 adheres the plywood to the XPS boards. We then added a bunch of weight onto everything overnight to help it all set up. A big part of all this was making a good template of the floor. We used some scrap amazon cardboard and brown paper to do this. It took a while to trace out and cut but it made the rest so much easier it was time well spent.

Built up the low spots with 1/2" plywood and some Noico in the large valleys

Using our floor template we traced the floor onto the 3 4'x8' XPS panels and cut them out.

Silicon2 was added to the tops of the floor ridges and plywood and the XPS was laid on top. You can safely stand on this XPS (300).

Also used the template to cut out the plywood.

Put a few biscuits in between each plywood join to keep the pieces aligned and level. Used PL300 to hold the plywood to the XPS.

Test fitted the heavy duty side and rear sill plates from Ford. Installed the rear plate with provided screws into factory threaded holes.

Put a bunch of weight on the floor layers overnight so everything sets nicely.

Cut the lino to just a few inches oversize of the floor template.

Laid the lino in the van and used the lines on it to align it visually.

Now its ready to be cut.

Went around with an exacto knife cutting it to within 1/2" or so of the walls.

Finally used 3M90 adhesive to attach the lino to the plywood and some aluminum edging for the rear edge of the floor. Sprayed great stuff in the gap between the floor and the walls and trimmed it flush with the floor.

Aluminum edging between carpet and new flooring. We sprayed some great stuff expanding foam under the new cavity at the edge of the carpet where it rises to the 1.5" height of the new floor which now provides good support to the carpet.

Since the floor is now ~1.5" higher than stock we added a piece of 2 by 8 under the side sill plate which made it the perfect height for the new floor. Installed it with screws into factory holes and some PL300.

Silicon2'd around the edge of the lino and walls so water cannot get under the lino. Floor is finished!

Floor is finished! We keep it covered with our template for protection.